Saturday, December 7, 2013

The beauty of nature

It's been a while. I think I'm just too lazy to upload photos. :-)
Some of you guys already saw the pictures on FB. Anyway, here are some pics I took while making those peal shell crazy minnows.
Blanks were cut using table saw, I love this power tool!
Inline image 1
And then come to the shaping step. The more precisely you carved, the less dust you will get from sanding. I definitely hate sanding! 
Inline image 2
But I got to do it :-)
Inline image 3
Then sealed with epoxy, that's 12 hours wait! I have plenty work to do during waiting time, since this time is for pearl shell lures.
Inline image 4
Fun part started by doing diamond cut. The shell is so fragile, it's a good idea to put double-side tape on the back. 
And here is a great video of how to do the diamond cut from Solarfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFRBN3wWz8

Inline image 5 
One trick I use is to cut the shell as light as possible, and break it later with a plier.
Inline image 6
Apply the shell to the lure and coat another layer epoxy ( maybe more layers, depends on how thick you applied)
Inline image 7
Carve the gill plates and give a simple black and white on back and belly. And final coat of epoxy, you are done! Enjoy!
Inline image 8Inline image 9

5 comments:

  1. these are really fantastic looking baits, i wonder how do they swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mikko. Here is the swim test video http://vimeo.com/78330999

      Delete
    2. that's real interesting i might give it a go and try to make one for my self too i bet with some rod action you could make one dance like a dying fish near the surface.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, go ahead and let me know how this thing works for pike.

      Delete
  2. Wow great handmade craft, great picture quality really nice post.

    Thanks
    Resort near pench national park

    ReplyDelete